Monday, July 8, 2013

WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS....LITERALLY

Oh my goodness have things been crazy around here
I sooo apologize for not visiting much lately
SUMMER BUSY'NESS.....like probably most of you
 
But I'm going to throw this post together
and show you THE BIG FLOOD IN CALGARY ALBERTA
and surrounding areas
 
 
SO SAD !!!
 
and just a few weeks later everything had to be ready
for the GREATEST OUTDOOR SHOW ON EARTH
the Calgary Stampede
 
(FYI....point of interest, the Stampede parade is second in size only to the Rose Bowl Parade)
 
Here are some photos of the Stampede grounds DURING the flood
 
the rodeo grounds
 
the Saddle Dome
originally built for when Calgary hosted the Olympics
 
the water went up to the 10th row
all the concerts planned for the Stampede
had to be canceled
 
washed out bridges and roads all over the place
 
the town of High River...just south of Calgary
 
SO MANY PEOPLE LOST THEIR HOMES
a friend of mine has a son who lives there
and she said he called her in a panic saying they were evacuating
as he gathered up his two little children
 and by then the water was up past his waist
 
They lost everything, but in their favor, they were renting

THE ZOO was also hit hard
YES !!!! they had to frantically move as many animals
as was possible
MOVE THEM I SAY
and for the rest of this summer the zoo will be closed
also had to lay off more then 200 workers

again, SO SAD

 
 
 I could show you many MANY more photos, but you get the idea
disaster

and as always during a disaster it brings out the BEST
and the WORST of people

I saw on the news (don't have photo) of a store in Calgary
who was charging $20 for a bag of ICE
guess the idea of charity didn't cross their mind

then you get good souls who do this


There have been thousands and thousands of volunteers
working together, showing love and support
and HELP

So now as everyone tries to get things back in order
and for some, sadly, it will take a LONG time
my heart just breaks for them

CALGARY STRONG
as they are saying

and NOW
the Stampede is up and running
and here is what they were trying to get the grounds
to look like.....as they once were


So grateful for loving caring people who volunteer
their time, resources and yes money

and that.....is how it's been in my neck of the woods
(Calgary is an hour's drive south of us)

this is NOT a news report, so I may not be 100% accurate in all the details
just how I remember it

 


29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wendy! I'm so sorry this has happened! My prayers are with all in your area. Hope you are all okay.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

tammy said...

So crazy how life can change in an instant. I saw your pics on FB, but had no idea of the extreme damage. So sad.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Oh my heck that is unbelievable! So incredibly sad.

Sad that the worst in people even happens. Thankful for "free ice" people. I hope that there are more of those in the days and weeks ahead.

Becky Andrews said...

Wow. So sad. I had no idea. Calgary Strong - that says so much. Take Care.

The Gathering Place said...

What. A tragedy. Nature can sure cause a lot of heartache in a very short amount of time. My prayers will remember them, too.
Why do you think life is so busy? Btw, the accident happened to my nephew's daughter.

Julie Harward said...

I had no idea it was that bad! I didn't hear that much on the news about it at all. Too bad about the loss of homes. And amazing how it all looks now!

Julie Harward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mimi Sue said...

WOW! I wish they could send a little water south. We are having water rationing here. Our prayers go out to you all in beautiful Canada. Mimi

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Natural disasters are the worst kind...

Unknown said...

My word. I had no idea that was going on. It's so crazy how one area can get too much of weather and another doesn't get enough. I think I'll be glad that I'm not flooded, however. That is just devastating.

jeanne, backyard neighbor said...

Wendy, I had no idea of this. We have been out of the loop for over two weeks. The kids are all home now and we both caught a cold from our grandson Cody. I honestly have done "nothing" since they left. Today I feel better and I am itching to clean up this house. Yikes!

This flood was a disaster for sure. I can't believe how bad it was. I was happy to see it is cleared up and running. There are so many awesome people who care about each other enough to pitch in and help. The guy who charges $20. for ice should be shut down. I truly believe there are many more good people than bad. I have faith in people and always will. Thank you for sharing this. It sure makes me stop complaining about the rain we have had these past two weeks.

Wishing you happy days my dear sista friend.

Love, Jeanne

Pondside said...

Our country has taken a beating in the last month, with flood and fire. The people of Calgary are amazing - and what a mayor they have! I think that the whole move to get the Stampeded up and running exemplifies the 'can do' and 'get it done' attitude of westerners!

Diane said...

What a disaster! I wondered how you were fairing.

I was outraged by the $20 for a bag of ice....how despicable. When we lived in Stratford a few years back we had our water contaminated, I remember the panic I felt. There was one store selling bottled water for $12, believe that that only adds to the panic. Within a few days the Township kicked in and had bottled water brought in for free.

Glad you came away from the flood unscathed. Hugs, Diane

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

So sad...and now Toronto too! But they are strong Canadians and will get through it with heads held high!
I also heard of one guy who came from Ontario with his pump truck and pumped people's basements for free!! Makes my heart smile!

" Hit It......." said...

I had no idea of the destruction; thanks for sharing. It brought a tear to my eye looking at the damage. It's times like this that you see people come together; doing the right thing.

Mom of 12 said...

Wow! That is just crazy! I haven't heard anything about this. Our prayers are with you tonight.
Sandy

DesertHen said...

This was just so sad to see on the news and your post just drives it home even more! So much damage and loss! Volunteers are such amazing gifts! I hope all returns to normal soon in Calgary!

Anonymous said...

Stopping in -- some how I don't get a notice when you post fast enough like I would like - wink!!!This is sad NEWS indeed -- sick feeling to be in a flood -- I've been there lost a lot of things but my home was saved -- crazzzzzy weather or signs of the times.. it's everywhere..crazy weather.. Thanks for sharing I had no idea -- it was such a beautiful place - My goodness I don't watch the news or listen to the news very often --- but a lot of people this summer has had their lives turn up side down --and washed away - Sad sad indeed with all these extreme weather..keep safe.. Hugs

koralee said...

Wow this was amazingly sad...my brother in law lives in Calgary but was one of the lucky ones.
I agree that Calgary is amazingly strong. Hope your summer is going well my friend.xo

Teacup Mosaics said...

Oh how devastating! It always amazes the beauty and tragedy that mother nature is capable of producing. I had no idea this was happening, perhaps not "gruesome" enough to make news, how sad. My prayers will include these strong people to recover soon.
Thanks for visiting my tea party, I had fun putting it together.
Take care and enjoy you summer busy-ness (love that term).
Kelley

Chris said...

So sad. Be safe and take care of each other.

June said...

Now that is a lot of water Wendy! I feel so sorry for the people who lost homes and property. Mother Nature surely can change our lives in the blink of an eye. My husband and I were just noticing the truck headed for that washed-out bridge in the photo of the creek or river. Sure hope he got stopped.
hugs from here...

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh my gosh, this is so sad. The weather can be so destructive. Have people been able to get back into their homes yet?

CB said...

Um Hey - Update your blog. I promise I'll be here!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

A busy summer for me too, Wendy! So sorry about the losses caused by this flooding. Isn't it weird how some areas suffer for LACK of rain & then . . . I hope Calgary is bouncing back.

Warmly, Michelle
Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

Connie said...

Oh my goodness! Unbelievable what too much water will do! How devastating!

jeanne, backyard neighbor said...

Hi Wendy, I know I have been gone for too long but I'm back and trying to get back to blogging and my sista friends. On top of the sad loss of my cousin my darn computer has been giving me a problem. Bill says it is our router for wireless service. Finally tonight he hooked up my lap top with a cord that runs down the hall over the couch in the great room. Somehow it works but I don't know why. He ordered a new router. In the meantime he has to use the same cord to use his laptop. He thinks I am doing a post so he is letting me use it right now. He doesn't know I am trying to catch up with my friends. HA! I AM going to do a post in a few minutes.

I need to spend a long time on FB to catch up with your fun time with your darling family. I have missed you very much.

Sending you my love and wishes for happy days.
Jeanne xoxoxo

Princess said...

Cool!

~CC Catherine said...

Wow sweetie...look what I have missed by not blogging! How I miss hearing you talk! When I read this, I hear you articulate each and every word! I sure do hope all have recovered in this area by now...one year later.